Monday, April 19, 2010

Spring Break with A Bang

My spring break started March 30 during Holy Week. Almost everythign was closed in Spain during this time. My parents showed up on Good Friday. We did some sightseeing in Valencia over the next couple of days. Went to the Oceonografico, which is just a big aquarium. The aquarium itself wasn't that impressive, but the the dolphin show was very good. It was like sea world good. We also went to the Cathedral for mass on Sunday to see the cup of Christ, or what is claimed to be the Cup of Christ. It is a vey beautiful cathedral.
After we got bored with Valencia we went to Denia, to our apartment down there, thank you Tina and Danny. The resort was small, but very nice. Unfortunately it was not lay on the beach and take in the sun weather, but we did have fun there. We saw the Castle there and and went to a pub to get Jamie his first guiness. We also went to a resturaunt and I ordered cuttlefish, which turned out to be actually very good. We got it again latter, my brother and I that is. From Denia we took the train to Alicante and walked around there. We also went to a castle there too. It was a little bit bigger than the one in Denia. We gabbed the train back to Denia for the night and then went back to Valencia and dropped our luggage off before we went to Toledo.
Toledo was amazing. It is an old midevil city that looks pretty much like it did when they were dumping their waste out the windows. There were swords everywhere and a lot of gold and jewelry. The city is famous for the handmade jewelry. Don't bring your girlfriend there, or you will be broke by the time you leave! The cathedral there was absolutely amazing. Unlike anything that I have every seen. We went to a resturaunt and my parents and my borther ordered spaghetti with baby eels, one of the most disgusting things I have every seen. Well we then took a train back to Valencia and we had to take first class on the train which is well worth it. We got served snacks, juice, wine, and liquor.
When we got back to Valencia we went to the American bar and had a drink there. The following morning, my parents left and I did some laundry and cleaned a little. Then on Momday I left for Fatima, Portugal. It was very relaxing. Not the best weather, but very nice. I got a very cheap place that was literally right across from the shrine an it had room for 3 people even though I only booked for one. I then left for London. There I met Mike and we went to some pubs and saw the H.M.S. Bellfast, a british naval ship. Then it happened, the volcano in Iceland erupted and all flights out of the UK were grounded. My flight was rescheduled for Monday so Mike and I decided to go to Cambridge and see the American WWII cemetery there. We went walking down some random path and through some small villages. We checked out the college, which is very beautiful. Then we came back to London in time to have some tea with some of Mike's friends. We actually didn't have tea, just champagne, finger sandwhiches, biscuits, and the you know, the usuall. Then I found out my flight got canceled all together. So I am sitting in London right now trying to figure out how I can get back to Spain within the next month. I will let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment