Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Land of the Siestas and the Fiestas

Hey you guys!

Its February 14th, my big sis's birthday. Happy Birthday Val! Crazy, we've been here for over a month already! Its flying by. Sorry about the delayed response, although we are in Espana, the place where time seems to not exist. Anyway, we finally found a place to stay after two weeks of searching. If you want the whole story ask me in person, but here's the condensed version.

The house hunt began in Gandia, we would get out of class, get to the train station as quick as possible for the hour train ride to Valencia. Once we arrived we'd take the metro to our first destination to visit. We'd walk all over the city, look at four places then take the hour train back to Gandia for the night for class the next morning. We did this three times, and after a while found a better way! After our Spanish course finished up we moved to Valencia, and spent a week at a youth hostel. The owner of the hostel is from Oregon, is American, and works at the only American bar in Valencia, so after searching all day, there were many nights hanging out with some Brits at the Portland Ale House. Near the end of the search I found a place near the university with all spaniards (who don't speak English) and who didn't smoke. I was pumped that I had finally found the place. I was all but ready to sign the papers to live in the apartment when the owner called me up and wanted to talk to me in person by myself at night! I was a little nervous about it but went anyway. I found out through a somewhat awkward conversation that the owner and his partner were gay, that I need to be VERY open to his gayness, and that we needed to be more of a family than just a place to live for the semester. Wow I did not see that coming! After much deliberation and a few brews at the Portland Ale house, I decided against it. John and I did have another place to live however between downtown and our University, near a huge garden. Its really nice and is actually fairly massive. Five of us live here, a French Girl, Paolina, a guy from Morrocco, Simo, a Bloody Brit, Eddy, and the two Americans. Quite the cultural experience.

Also, Don't worry we're not doing everything American over here, although I have eaten more fast food here than I ever had back home, we have had some paella, churros y chocolate, along with a Doner Kebab (a Turkish wrap which is Amazing)!

Last night we went to El Museo de Artes y Ciencias (John mentioned it in a previous post) for a free concert! The atmosphere was amazing, they drained one of the huge pools of water right in the middle, and had the biggest concert that I've ever been to. I couldn't even give you a rough count. I've uploaded some pics onto my facebook if you want to check it out. I'm sure there are also some great google images of the place as well. Today is Sunday, and John and I haven't done anything! Its great.

Enjoy,
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment